Saturday, October 13, 2012

My Two Cents' Worth on Racism in Singapore Whose booze?


I am writing this as a Singaporean Chinese who has friends from all races. I am writing this as someone who has fought on the same battle ground, whether it is in school sports, examinations, or mock military attacks in national service, alongside my brothers from the Malay, Indian, and Eurasian race. More importantly, I am writing this as someone honored to have been in the same company as these very men, and someone who is frankly, sick and tired of hearing “racism” bandied around with increasing frequency these days.


Let’s face it – there will always be racists, just like there will always be – in no apparent order – rapists, pedophiles, druggies, hippies, nerds, and people who think Justin Bieber is the greatest singer of all time. And as history has proven, it is impossible to change these people. If education can right these wrongs and address these grave problems that have plagued mankind for centuries, Justin Bieber’s “Baby” will not have gotten 787,915,106 views. And also there won’t be any poverty. But that’s another can of worms for another day.


My point is, do people really, really, think that online discourse, however reasonable, logical, and well-written, can truly convince someone that there is no inherent difference between people of different races? Martin Luther King was as brilliant an orator and writer – Letter from Birmingham Jail, anyone? – as you could find, but was he successful in purging racism from the American society? That is why I do not understand – nor encourage – people who are now starting to come together, sharing their individual experiences with racists, when all they’re really doing is adding to this tension, feeding it with isolated incidents, and gradually foist this idea of a racist majority onto society.


I said earlier that I have friends from all races. I have a friend from primary school, called Hidayat, who is a tremendous athlete. We lost touch after primary school, but I remember the days when we were in class, and I would man-jizz at his physical ability. I mean, this guy was frigging impossible on the track. Then there was F (I’m not naming him because he’s on FB and I don’t want to bring him any unnecessary and unwanted attention), whose house I would always crash before/after school, and whose mom I could do a wicked impression of (I think). In junior college, I battled alongside teammates from all races for the elusive “A” Division title. We fell short ultimately, but how I wish I can relive those grueling yet gratifying moments with them once more. In army, I went through nine days of hell in Brunei with my band of brothers from all races while we were at the Officer Cadet School, completed endless missions in Thailand with the same people, and if ever that dusty red button was pressed, I would have no qualms about fighting for our country along these brave and immense human beings.


And I firmly believe that I do not belong to a minority when I say that I have had such memorable experiences with friends – you know the drill – from all races in Singapore. For every racist who hit the headlines, there are a hundred others who are not racist and merely getting on with their lives. If a majority of Singaporeans were racists, we will not be where we are today.


Let the racists do what they want. Let the uninformed find their way when the glory of humanity transcends racial lines and light up their stubborn minds. And let us not get upset and drag the majority of society down because of people who, like “Beliebers”, will always exist.


To his credit, Morgan Freeman, who continues to push his artistic limits by playing an intelligent gentleman in 99% of his shows, did give a pretty kick-ass quote when asked what’s the best way to stop racism.


“Stop talking about it”.


And, out of respect for the number of interracial friendships and relationships keeping Singapore a cohesive and harmonious society, if anything, is arguably the best course of action.





Source:


http://whosebooze.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/my-two-cents-worth-on-racism-in-singapore/






The News http://whosebooze.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/my-two-cents-worth-on-racism-in-singapore/ from http://justinbieberbabyweb.blogspot.com