Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The One: Guilty Pleasures | All Things Go


guilty pleasures music elliott smith zac brown band, colby caillat justin bieber staind limp bizkit fred durst katy perry muscles


Guilty pleasures. We all have them, whether you like to admit it or not. We polled our writers to see which songs they play when nobody’s listening. Go ahead and turn on that Spotify private session and see what we came up with below. Make sure to let us know what your guilty pleasures are in the comments below. And don’t forget to catch up on previous editions of The One.


divider


staind its been a while gif


Liz Galvao: God, I hope I don’t get fired from All Things Go for this one: I actually don’t think Staind is that bad. For me, they are not among the worst bands to come out of the aughts. “Mudshovel” is a legitimately enjoyable rock song, she said to enormous laughter. As a teen, though, it was the live, acoustic version of “Outside” from the 1999 Family Values Tour that gave me all the feels. First of all (or should I say Durst of all), the lead singer of Limp Bizkit was involved, making it a huge breakout moment. Secondly, the lyrics and execution actually had an element of depth. I don’t know if you remember all the weird-ass pedals and filters and other unfortunate interventions in music during that time period, but the fact that Aaron Lewis and Fred Durst sang this song sitting on a staircase with a single guitar was a pretty huge departure from the status quo. Of course, Durst had to ruin it by yelling out stupid shit like, “This is the real motherfucking deal, y’all!” and “I’m feeling those lighters!” And yeah, the guitar work is a goddamn joke, but there’s something real here despite all of that. So farewell forever, music writing.


divider


ice cream gif


Neil Barlow: It’s a song about how awesome ice cream is off an album titled GUNS BABES LEMONADE. It’s not the deepest or most intricate song you’ll hear by any means, but if you’re looking to get a party started and dance, Australia’s Muscles is a great go to.


divider


katy perry part of me gif


Josh Stansfield: I guess I just love songs with female vocals about being strong and independent and coming back from a bad relationship to CRUSHING IT and generally owning life. These are not topics I relate to on a regular basis as a guy, but the raw power in Katy Perry‘s autotuned voice gets me pumped. It must seem kind of funny when I’m driving around with this pop-perfect melody and Katy’s voice booming out of my car. To be fair, RAC‘s deft blend of synths and punchy drums takes a lot of the cheesiness out of the original, but it’s still my number one guilty pleasure.


divider


justin bieber as long as you love me gif


Nate Cover: It’s not often that I admit that I listen to the Biebs, but who am I to starve the internet of the obvious guilty pleasure puns? Even with his newfound penchant for street racing and toking up, he’s still got the vocal chords of a champion.


Call it what you like, “As Long As You Love Me” is the pinnacle of Justin Bieber‘s music career. With his signature untethered high register and those harmless-young-love lyrics, Bieber hardly has to open his mouth to send hormones raging. Peep the music video (or his mugshot) for a 360°-view of that jawline. *swoon* But I’m not here for the hormones. I’m just waiting for him to change his hair again so I know what’s cool.


divider


elliott smith miss misery


Nate Scott: It’s impossible to listen to Elliott Smith just to listen to him. Listening to him makes a statement about your mood, your mental health, etc. If I throw “Baby Britain” on Spotify, you better believe I’ll be getting an “Are you OK?” text within a few minutes.


So while I don’t feel guilty about my love for Elliott Smith, and I’m secure in the fact that I can listen to him without wanting to hang myself, I do usually have to hide it when I listen to him. And that’s OK, I think. We all need something for ourselves, you know?


divider


zac brown colder weather


Justin McCarthy: I believe that we live in a post-guilty pleasure world, one in which the enjoyment of “Summer Girls” by LFO and Mahler’s 4th Symphony are equally valid. By and large, we don’t choose the music we love; the underlying social, political, cultural and class bases that govern most of our lives choose our favorite songs, albums and artists for us.


That said, I activate a private session on Spotify when I listen to country music. I’d prefer you people not know that I listen to country music. I feel bad about that. I really shouldn’t, but I do. I wish I was stronger. Anyway, haters, this is a great song. It hasn’t not made me cry at work. Enjoy.


divider


colbie caillat bubbly gif


Bryce Rudow: You know how when you’re single, you hate PDA and think that all couples are shams full of insecure individuals that secretly resent each other?


Then, you know how when you’re falling in love, you want to give butterfly kisses to your significant other and it doesn’t matter if you’re in line at Chipotle because you feel so…what’s the word…bubbly?


Well this is the sonic equivalent of that feeling, and I’ve got enough Zach Braff in me to still crinkle my nose every time I hear this cutie patootie sing that line where she goes, “I just…mmmm….”



© 2014 All Things Go. All Rights Reserved.



Source:


http://ift.tt/1pksOS1






The Late News http://ift.tt/1oKRcKe from http://ift.tt/1gZbOKN