Monday, June 11, 2012

Principal Bans 'God Bless the USA' in Favor of Justin Bieber Song ...

The Story
Recently
Principal Bans 'God Bless the USA' in Favor of Justin Bieber Song ...
Jun 11th 2012, 14:18

BERT ATKINSON JR. JUNE 11 | IJ Review

Greta Hawkins, the principal of PS 90, the Edna Cohen School in Coney Island, a kindergarten, has banned the patriotic song 'God Bless the USA' from being sung at the graduation for 5-year-olds, instead opting for a song by Justin Bieber.

Kindergartners at PS 90, the Edna Cohen School in Coney Island will not be allowed to sing 'God Bless the USA' at their moving-up ceremony because principle Greta Hawkins has decided it is inappropriate.

The lyrics, she says could 'offend other cultures' and are 'too grown-up' for five-year-olds."

But, Hawkins will allow the children to sing the hit song, 'Baby' by Justin Bieber. Are these lyrics appropriate for a 5-year-old?

Are we an item? Girl quit playin'. We're just friends, what are you sayin'? Said there's another as you look right in my eyes, My first love, broke my heart for the first time."

This is not the first time that Hawkins, a Jehovas Witness, has tried to remove patriotism from the school. She has previously tried to stop the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance and singing 'America the Beautiful,' but was unsuccessful after other faculty and staff objected. The report states she "does not herself recite the pledge because of her religious beliefs."

That's not all:

She has in the past been called a tyrant and bully by staffers and was reprimanded in 2010 by the Department of Education after complaints arose that she had called the school racist.

'I'm black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming,' she is alleged to have said."

The reason for not allowing 'God Bless the USA' is very confusing to me — these lyrics are not controversial at all. This principal is one of the contributing factors to the growing lack of pride in our country. If we can't teach our children to be proud of living here and appreciate our freedoms, how is this country supposed to excel?

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I'd worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife

I'd thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea

From Detroit down to Houston
And New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart
And it's time we stand and say

That I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A."

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions